Dreaming about summer, we go over to Costa Rica, one of the happiest countries in the world, or so they say..
We are making some nice Chifrijo with pico de gallo. The recipe is really easy:
- You prepare your kidney beans.
- You boil your rice with some chili, laurel, some finely chopped sweet pepper and carrot. Add salt and pepper.
- You fry your meat, which is usually pork, but others work too.
- You prepare the pico de gallo by chopping 1/4 of an onion, 2 tomatoes, 2 cloves of garlic and a small chili. You add lime juice, salt, pepper and fresh cilantro (coriander), mix it well.
- You can slice some avocado and drip some lemon juice or lime on it to prevent it from turning brown.
- You can make an avocado mash with some garlic and lime juice, salt and pepper. Alternatively you can make some guacamole.
And you are done. Now you layer the rice, beans, meat, pico de gallo and avocado in a bowl and enjoy with some tortilla chips – homemade ones taste even better!
This dish was not new to me, but I love it and am always happy to make it again.
What does your Chifrijo look like?